Restore Your Health, Appearance, and Function with Dentures
Gaps or spaces left behind by missing teeth can certainly detract from a beautiful smile. More importantly, however, missing teeth can have a tremendous negative impact on your health and dental function. Individuals missing most or all of their teeth can benefit from dentures at our Tucson, AZ, practice. With over 40 years of experience, Dr. Robert Hawke provides top-tier dental care for families in our community. No matter what your oral health needs, we can help.
Types of Dentures
There are several different types of dentures available. The best one depends on the specific needs and goals of the patient. Dr. Hawke offers:
This appliance can replace an entire arch of missing teeth. Full dentures rest on the gums and can be crafted from acrylics, resins, or ceramics. Adhesives are used to help upper restorations remain in place.
Patients who still have a few remaining healthy teeth can choose partial dentures. Like full dentures, these prostheses rely on the gums and jawbone for support. In addition, special dental clasps can also hook onto the adjacent teeth for extra stability.
If extractions are necessary as part of your treatment plan, an immediate denture will likely be used. Also referred to as a healing denture, this appliance is worn in the interim period, while the gums heal in preparation for your final prosthesis.
While traditional dentures rest on the gum tissue, implant-supported dentures are attached to dental implants, which are firmly embedded into the jawbone. This option provides patients with maximum stability and reliability.
Benefits of Dentures
In most cases, individuals who have suffered prolonged tooth loss have a sunken-in, hollowed appearance. This is because bone atrophy begins when tooth loss occurs. Over time, the bone continues to deteriorate. As a result, the facial features sag and droop. Dentures fill out the facial features for a healthier, younger-looking appearance.
With over 40 years of experience, Dr. Hawke provides top-tier restorative care. Several denture types are available.
Routine tasks such as eating and speaking become challenging after tooth loss occurs. However, replacing teeth with dentures can restore your dental function and allow you to eat your favorite foods with confidence again.
Denture Treatment Timeline
Because each individual is unique, treatment will vary for every patient. However, the denture treatment timeline includes several general steps:
- Initial consultation: Before you can receive your denture, Dr. Hawke must see you for an assessment. During this visit, he will talk with you about your concerns and determine an appropriate treatment plan. He might also use our advanced 3-D cone beam scanner to evaluate the health of your jaw.
- Preparatory procedures: In some instances, preparatory procedures are required before dentures can be placed. This may include extractions, dental implants, or other restorative treatments.
- Dental impressions: When it is time to create your dentures, we will take impressions of your dental ridges and any remaining teeth. These impressions will be used to create a mold of your mouth.
- Fabrication of denture: Your impressions and molds will be sent to a dental lab, where a trained technician will begin crafting your final dentures. This process takes about two to four weeks on average.
- Denture fitting: When your dentures arrive, we will schedule you for another appointment at our office. Dr. Hawke will try in your new prosthesis and assess the fit, color, and overall appearance. Any necessary adjustments will be made and you will be able to leave our office with your new smile.
Contact Our Practice Today
If your quality of life is deteriorating due to missing teeth, dentures could be an excellent solution for you. Financing is available to cover any out-of-pocket costs. To learn more, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hawke, call us at (520) 323-3842 or contact us online.